Sunday 5 July 2015

RANDOM THOUGHTS

When we were young a good way to make friends was through the system of penpals.All newspapers,magazines would carry lists of penpals.We would avidly wait to see those lists and find out people who would match our interests and hobbies. Next step would be to write them the first introductory letter and then wait for their replies.A girl or boy would write to many with a hope to establish contacts with diverse group of people from all around the world.There was no bar of any kind.In fact parents happily endorsed these friendships and at times encouraged it.The whole friendship hinged on the idea that it was to be continued through letters.

We never thought that it could be potentially dangerous to get to know pure strangers and put out our personal details with them. Perhaps the world was more trusting and less a hunting ground for all sorts of crime one encounters now.

Many romances would flower,marriages consummated, life long friends made,family friendships established, visits take place, from these penpal system.

My first penpal was a postgraduate student when I was myself in school, probably in primary! One fine day he came on a 'surprise' visit and my parents and sisters and my 'penpal, all of us had a gala time with lots of good food and outing to the movies.I still have a an old snap of me and my sister with my penpal. Looking at the snap makes me wonder now what I could have been communicating with him those days??

Some days ago I was reminded of this bygone trend when I read a post of my friend on FB. Now I wonder whether those innocent friendships perpetuated and carried on through letters is something to be treasured? I do not know how the younger generation would view it.

Letters do not get written so much, esp personal letters.The time spent in selecting the type of paper,envelopes, in sitting down to write your innermost thoughts seemed so private,so precious.The joy of receiving your letters,opening the seal,saving those uncommon stamps to add to one's collection and then the pleasure of reading the letters for as many times cannot be appreciated by youngsters now.

The booming social media with its associated lingo has robbed this generation of the rich diversity of language at least................................

No comments:

Post a Comment